Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Way to go preacher. Hit me smack between the eyes!

Last Sunday we were in church. I love this church so very much. I love this pastor so very much. The guy can BRING IT!!! He is simply pouring out so unselfishly what the Holy Spirit is pressing on his heart. It's such an awesome thing.

He was rockin' and rollin' along with his sermon and then somewhere he stopped to ask us parents 5 questions that I CANNOT LET GO OF. Apparently I am clearly convicted over one or three of these and have some work to do.

Here is a snippet of scripture and then the 5 questions.

Deuteronomy 6: 5-9 "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about then when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframe of your houses and on your gates."

Ben defines "impressed" as being put on them forcefully to where it leaves a mark. We also CANNOT pass along what hasn't passed through us.

Ok, 5 questions to think about and truly pray over.

1. If my child asked "what is the gospel" could I answer them clearly and quote scripture?

2. When was the last time my child interrupted me in prayer?

3. If I died today, would my bible be a keepsake for my children?

4. Do I want my children to enjoy time with God?

5. If you asked your child "what is important to your parents?" would they answer God, church or the bible?

I hope you can't let this one go like I can't let it go.

What truly matters? We have a legacy to live for generations to come.

Hugs and blessings~
Fran

10 comments:

Mary said...

That's some POWERFUL stuff!! Leaves me with much to ponder.

3girlsmom said...

Imma need you to smack Ben the next time you see him.

Now I'm headed to join a convent.

And my site word is "chillin." HAHAHAHAHAHA! Taking a picture for proof. :)

Toknowhim said...

Those are some tough questions, and as much as I would like to think I could answer all of those questions with a positive response, I don't think I could...

I think it is time to have a talk with my boys about what the gospel truly means... Wow...

Brandy said...

Seeing as this is the 3rd or 4th time I have heard something like this inthe past 48 hours I'm pretty sure God is talking to me! I'm listening! Maybe I've been spending too much time judging other parents or finding ways I am "getting by" or telling myself "I'm doing the best I can" -which all in all boil down to excuses.
Thanks for sharing the message!

Leah Adams said...

Ummmmmmmmmmm, well now. Alrighty, then. Kinda speechless. Know that is hard to believe, but I am.

If the Lord lets me write another Bible study dealing with the topic of legacy (assuming the one that is currently at the publisher sells more than 3 copies), then I might have to incorporate those questions into it.

Leah

Kelly S. said...

Convicting! Gonna have to think on this one. Thanks for sharing....... ( I think). :)

Laura said...

Whoa! Those are some tough questions, and sadly #1-3 I can't answer. I'll have to work on those.

He Knows My Name said...

Wow. Stay under that man. Those are things I have never heard come from the pulpit before. Them are some really well thought out questions. I am so glad you blogged this.

hugs, janel

Meli n Pat said...

Wow. From someone who has no children, this still hits home. I can still impress these things on the hearts of the ones I am around and love. A great message for "Aunt Meli" too!

ocean mommy said...

yikes.


don't think i'll be letting it go either.


I blog so you can get a glimpse into my life as wife, mom of 3 boys, and someone who simply wants to bless others along the way. Have fun and be sweet :)


Boy 1

Boy 1

Boy 2

Boy 2

Boy 3

Boy 3

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets


Get your own free Blogoversary button!