Monday, November 23, 2009

After the movie....now I'm thinking!


The whole family went to the movies on Saturday to see "The Blind Side." And OHMYWORD that is now one of my favorite all time movies!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go see if you can. We even took our nearly 9 year old to see it. My personal opinion is the story outweighs any language or scene that might be questionable. And, there were only a couple of places that might have done that to me as a momma.

Even if you haven't seen the movie, you probably know the basic idea of the movie.....a family in Memphis takes in a high school age boy to live with them and he becomes a football star. And, one quick side note, Sandra Bullock was A-MAZING in this movie.

But, really....it's more than that.

I have said to my kids over and over since we saw the movie...."look what happens when you truly invest in the life of someone else."

And, then I began to think....

What am I really doing to invest in the life of someone else?? Really. What am I doing?

I don't have to become a foster parent to make that difference. I am a sponsor with Compassion International and we are changing the life of Sofia in Uganda, but what about the hands on, real life, right here, changing the life of or investing in the life of someone else?

What are you doing? What can we be doing outside the foster parent level? How has the movie changed you? What ideas might you have?

For those of us raising kids, I think we can all agree on the fact of wanting our kids to see just how they can make a difference in someones life.

I'm anxious to hear your ideas. Maybe I'm feeling guilty for not getting my Operation Christmas Child shoebox completed. Maybe I'm contemplating adoption. *wink*

James 2:15-17 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Hugs and blessings~
Fran

10 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Fran,

I bet you are doing more than you think or realize.

A couple of things I am being intentional about. I am participating as a mentor in our Women's Ministries "Woman to Woman Mentoring" program. We have a whole generation of young women who are desperate for godly mentors.

Also, I host a weekly Bible study in my home. I feel like I have invested in the lives of the women who have attended over the past 9 years.

I'm eager to hear some other ideas from other ladies.

Leah

Unknown said...

Every single day you can make a difference in someone's life by being outward thinking. When you actually look for people who need a touch, you see them everywhere--and it doesn't take much really. A smile, hug, compassionate expression, and willingness to reach the unreachable. You will be surprised at how God expands you as He shows you needs and you begin to move out to meet them. Who knows, maybe you'll invite a stranger to live with you someday! ;) (BTW-when it's HIM, his burden is easy. Meaning grace and peace will accompany you!)

Be willing to think out of the box and ask the questions that need to be asked. Building a bridge with someone by showing them you are interested in their lives. And be willing to be uncomfortable sometimes--

And, your heart is beautiful--He sees your willingness to reach out in His name, and He thinks it's fabulous! :)

beckyjomama said...

I cannot wait to see it - and Frannie, you ARE an investor. I know you have touched MY life in ways beyond compare. And even though I have never seen your sweet face in person, it sure does not FEEL long distance ... it feels face to face, even though (until April!!!) it is only heart to heart!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Oh girl. Went and saw Blind Side yesterday afternoon. Our church ministers in an area just like Hurt Village in M'gomery Alabama. Made me want to run down there and get Cedric, my precious 13 year old boy whom I love. It's so hard feeling as if I'm never doing enough.

Meli n Pat said...

Wish we had extra $ to go! Hopefully it will be out on video soon and we can see it there.
On the other end, I have been super-challenged on what I am doing too. I think the Crazy Love book spurred that on as well. With my sister's current adoption, my sister-in-law's previous adoption, I can't see how that would ever be outside God's will for His people to do! I have goals to "adopt" the other end of the spectrum this holiday season, especially: I want to adopt someone from our local senior center or nursing home. God definitely calls us to "touch" others, and as wonderful as it is to send support or encourage online, it's not the same. I love your heart and can't wait to see where God leads you! Have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

Darla said...

can't wait to see the movie..but we do have the opportunity to touch every life we come in contact with even if its just a smile, or a kind work...been thinking lots about that lately.

Happy Thanksgiving Princess! (email is still coming just running behind)

Tammy said...

I loved it so much I bought the book. And I hate to read! My husband agrees with you about the story line outweighing the few bad words for kids to see. The message is wonderful.

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

I just saw Blind Side & Loved it!!! I have 3 boys too! Isn't it the best? Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Joyfully,
Wylie

Midwest Nest said...

Loved the movie. So good that you are thinking about your impact on others even now as you parent. I'm empty nested and that stares me in the face all of the time. We have a couple of single moms in our church that I connect with and try to help out with. Also volunteer at a local hospital. There is also a local foster care association that I support. Where can I make the most impact is a question I ask myself. I loved how the family in the movie was so open to whatever circumstance came their way and acted on it.

Mary R Snyder said...

Hey Fran -- haven't seen the movie yet, but can't wait. Love the topic of your post. Wrote about my frustration at myself and the entire church's (people, not the building)attitude toward reaching out to those around us.
Pick up the book, UnChristian and see what happens. It's changed me. Truly changed the way I view many things.
As for what you can do? Only God can tell you that, but for many people who can't foster a child there is a way to make a difference in a chid's life -- become a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate). It will make a LIFE changing difference for a child in need. Look up your local program www.casaforchildren.org


I blog so you can get a glimpse into my life as wife, mom of 3 boys, and someone who simply wants to bless others along the way. Have fun and be sweet :)


Boy 1

Boy 1

Boy 2

Boy 2

Boy 3

Boy 3

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets


Get your own free Blogoversary button!