Monday, December 6, 2010

Greatest lesson learned at Deeper Still that DID NOT come from Beth, Kay, or Priscilla

Oh, goodness. I hope you can hear my heart and feel what I'm about to describe when I have to leave out all sorts of names and manner of detail.

Sounds exciting, huh? Hang on....let's ride this out and keep our fingers crossed.

We all know what happens when you put a group of women together. There can be intense giddiness, excitement, fun, and a whole lotta anticipation. There can also be a great deal of fear, insecurity, and question of "Am I really as cute or funny as Suzy across the room?" Isn't it interesting how our minds are all over the place? Maybe it's just me. I'm highly doubting it though.

And, then the dynamics of your little group change. Maybe a new girl that noone knows walks in the room with a friend. Maybe someone starts telling a story about someone you know that rubs you the wrong way. Maybe someone tells something that you think "did she really just tell that?" Maybe, maybe, maybe....

It just happens. It just happens with a group of girls. No matter the age or demographic or status. It can happen just.like.that. Before you can even think or process or understand what is happening.....something has changed. And maybe the change involves yourself. Maybe you were the one who said or did something in that instant you are wondering, "Did I really just say that or do that?" Oh, I think I did.

It happens. And the minute it does....you just want to throw up and cry and run out screaming something completely inappropriate. It happens. And it's ugly.

But after some suffering and hurt and flat out conviction, God shows Himself through someone COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED. And her name is grace and forgiveness.

Her name is grace and forgiveness and she came clothed in the form of a person that you never saw coming. She showed me what it's like to truly understand someone and something without any kind of judgment. She showed me love when she could have easily ran the other way and made all kinds of assumptions.

I saw grace and forgiveness up close and personal this weekend and I will never ever forget it as long as I live.

I won't forget how it felt.

I won't forget how unexpected it came.

I won't forget what she looked like.

I will never forget how humbling and beautiful she was all at the same time.

I love those two words....grace and forgiveness.

I hope you extend it when someone is least expecting it because it just might be one of the greatest life lessons that person can learn.

Hugs and blessings y'all!

15 comments:

Mary R Snyder said...

PRECIOUS! I love this! And as one who has been the one who said something incredibly stupid, I know how very much I need grace.

Love your heart.

Unknown said...

Great word Frannie!

I've been in that spot more than I'd ever like to admit, and I'm still waiting for Grace and Forgiveness to be extended and for restoration in relationships! :) But even if it never happens on this side of heaven, I'm confident that God has forgiven me, and because of that I'm able to lift my head and continue on in this crazy little thing called life!

I'm happy it turned out so well for you! While grace might not ever be deserving, it's such a beautiful picture of Christ when it happens.

Much love,
T

beckyjomama said...

Humbled ... convicted, ashamed ... forgiven and humbled.

love you.

Cheryl said...

A girl's BFFs- Grace & Forgiveness!
So wish I could have been there this weekend, glad you had a great time.

Lavonda said...

Fran, you are so right. We all need grace and forgiveness. (Even more so with our own families than with friends and acquaintances it seems at times).

I was there this weekend, and being the people watcher that I am, was able to learn from and be touched by what you're talking about. Most of it was explained to me after the fact, but even then, it was clear how God was working. He is so good, isn't He? If we always saw Him coming, I don't think it would have the same effect on us as it does when He knocks us off our feet.

I think you're a sweetheart.

I started a little blog not long ago... I'm still trying to figure out my words to put them on paper from this last weekend. There certainly were several little treasures He gave me too while I was in Birmingham.

Take Care Fran!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Fran.

I love you.

I am so sad I wasn't with you all this weekend.

And I just learned Lavonda has a blog and she didn't tell me first. She's gonna need some grace and forgiveness when I getta holt of her.

Hugs sister..

ocean mommy said...

I'm just going to say yes and amen.

Loved seeing you again! It was a powerful weekend in so many different ways. Still processing.

Hugs,
steph.

3girlsmom said...

So glad I was there and experienced the same thing. Hurt a lot. A LOT. Still does. But what a lesson to learn.

So thankful. So changed.

I love you to pieces.

Stacey said...

I'll just simply say:

:-)

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Grace and forgiveness. Beautiful words. I love hearing what God is revealing to others. Thanks for sharing...I enjoy your blog so much!

whittakerwoman said...

Great post! And I loved getting to see you too! H

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Fran, you described this situation so well. Just this weekend, I was with a group of sweet friends and with one sentence, the whole thing changed for me. I hate that I'm so emotional, but sometimes things just hit you out of nowhere!

I love your challenge in this post. I want to be the person who offers grace and forgiveness. I really do.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Thanks for sharing....felt like I was there.....Merry Christmas...

Teresa

LisaShaw said...

Hi Fran,

While I wasn't there I can almost sense it in the spirit realm and so I'll say, "I understand" and praise the LORD for His grace and forgiveness pouring down so generously upon us all.

Thank you for sharing your heart. Christmas blessings!

LisaShaw said...

Hey Fran,

Came by to wish you and yours a blessed Christmas before I take some time off blogs!

Hugs and love!


I blog so you can get a glimpse into my life as wife, mom of 3 boys, and someone who simply wants to bless others along the way. Have fun and be sweet :)


Boy 1

Boy 1

Boy 2

Boy 2

Boy 3

Boy 3

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets


Get your own free Blogoversary button!